An introduction and whats to come

Hello! 

My real name is something I keep to myself, so I'm known mostly by my surname "UglySwedishFish", or simply just "Fish" (or ugly, if you're not having a good day)

I've worked on mirage for a while now - and as I currently am not sure if I can release the source code or an executable (at least not for a while) I felt I still wanted to share my adventure in another way - which spawned the way to this blog.

So what exactly is this mirage thing? 

Mirage is mostly just a passion project turned semi-serious. It started off like many of my other projects but I realized there might be some potential in actually trying to make it into something worthwhile.



What seperates mirage from the handful of real-time path tracers out there? (optix/nvidias path tracer, brigade, lavina, etc) 

Well, first and foremost mirage is entirely cross platform! It has been designed both on nvidia gpus and amd gpus, and while it does ever so slightly prefer amd gpus it still runs like a champ on nvidia gpus.
Secondly it doesn't require a RTX gpu (and yes, while most of the others don't either it's worth pointing out!)
Thirdly (and most relevant) it is as far as I know the only path tracing engine yet to be capable of rendering in VR (at the time of writing this, 20th of february 2019)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update on Mirage

The constant ambient factor - how to use it to your advantage - and why you shouldn't